Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey

Not having seen this movie in many years I got it in the mail from Netflix to share with Liam.  He was definitely into it.  Not quite in same way that he is enamored with Bolt, but he was definitely not trying to eject it and watch something else.  I had recently seen something that saddened me stating that this movie came out 20 years ago and that all of the animals in it are now dead.  :( 

I still loved this movie just as much if not more than I had as a child.  I do think that watching it as an adult that I definitely cried a lot more.  I was trying to remember if I had cried watching it as a child.  The story was still just as great and had more depth as an adult.

In case you have missed out on the awesomeness that it is Homeward Bound you must know that it is based on the best-selling book The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford and is also a remake of the 1963 film with the same title as the book.  Homeward Bound was released in 1993.   The story is about 3 house pets.  Chance a bulldog that was recently rescued from the pound.  Shadow a golden retriever and Sassy a Himalayan cat.  They each have their own child owner whose mother has recently gotten married to a man that needs them to move to San Francisco.  The pets are then sent to stay at an aunt's farm and feel as though they have been abandoned and decide to head home on their own across the mountains.

In it's release in 1993 the film grossed over $40 million.   In 1996 a sequel was released about the same animals being lost in San Francisco. The film was shot at various locations in Oregon. 

Overall this movie is excellent and I give it 5 stars.  If you have never seen it you are missing out and must give it a try.  If you have it is a must for a revisit.

For the official Disney link you can go to Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey


No comments:

Post a Comment