Saturday, April 19, 2014

DIY: Ombre' Egg Dying

After a failed attempt at shaving cream dyed eggs last Easter, I was very excited about the Ombre' style Egg Dying.  I figured that it looked really awesome and really easy and almost foolproof...  Apparently the "almost" was the key word for me.  As I only own gel food coloring it seems to be the bane of my egg dying existence, and once again was ineffective in this year's egg dying.  The ombre' method theoretically should work but given the directions that I came across it did not work for me.  I suggest using regular food coloring that is not as thick or as vibrant and not wasting a ton of good gel food coloring on this.  

Supplies:
Hard Boiled Eggs
Food Coloring(not gel)
Cups

Instructions:
Place eggs into cups or containers that will allow them to sit upright.  Add enough warm water to cover about a quarter of the egg.  Add enough food coloring for the color to show darkly in the water.  Let sit 10 minutes and then add enough water so that the eggs are now half covered.  Let sit for another 10 minutes and cover up to the 3/4 mark.  Sit for another 10 minutes and cover completely.  After 5 minutes of total immersion you can remove to dry. 
*Keep in mind that 40 additional minutes in warm water may cook the egg yolk a bit more.


Get some cups to put your eggs in and fill them up 1/4 of the way up the egg
Take a minute for an assistant pose :)
Add food coloring carefully to the water so that it is dark enough to show through the water

After 10 minutes add water up to the 1/2 mark on your egg (this did cause my pink egg to fall)
Be excited about the process
After 10 additional minutes add water up to the 3/4 line on the eggs
After 10 minutes cover completely
Remove to dry

Be happy about how pretty your eggs look
You can see some separation lines on a few but the ombre' effect was not there for me, at least they are still pretty

No comments:

Post a Comment