Saturday, June 21, 2014

Wages Creek

I had the pleasure of reading a delightful children's book, Wages Creek as an advanced reader copy.

From the moment my son and I first pulled Wages Creek out of its packaging, he was enthralled with the cover art.  I loved the concept of the read-along CD that came with.  The CD included a complete reading as well as exciting sound effects to emphasize sections of the story. 

Wages Creek is a 30 page children's book written by Jeffrey Hickey and illustrated by Karen Kiser.  It is about a man that goes camping with his family and ends up catching a cold.  His family goes off to explore nature while letting dad rest.  He awakens to realize just how special Wages Creek and the ducks that reside there are.

This book was fun to read with my son, it is probably geared more towards ages 6 or 7 and up and with my toddler being 3 and a half, we just broke it up into 3 sessions to finish the book.  The storyline is very creative and teaches children to appreciate family and the small things around them.  The whole audio CD was so fun to read along with.  We would follow along in the book and my son was delighted by the sound effects.  I don't think I have ever had a children's book that was quite so fun to follow along with.

This book definitely needs to be paired with the Audio disc in order to get the full effect.  I give this book 5 out of 5 stars.  Brilliantly done all around.  I highly recommend this book, especially for campers and animal lovers, especially of the waterfowl variety. 

No comments:

Post a Comment