Liam's due date was January 3rd, 2011. I had a sneaking suspicion that he wasn't going to wait quite that long. My doctor wanted me to do an additional ultrasound on December 17th to check the size of him he seemed to be a little smaller than he should be at that point. The ultrasound made me nervous as they kept taking photos of things that I had not previously seen. Luckily I had my sister Shayna there with me for support. It turned out that my amniotic fluid levels were low and that it had caused Liam to be a little bit small and they wanted me to be monitored in Labor & Delivery and that if his vital signs weren't good enough that we were going to do a C-section that day, and that I would have a C-section before Christmas at the latest. Liam's vitals were all great, as they have been all along and we were sent home.
I was given the weekend to try to wrap my head around a C-Section and to wonder about what day we would be going through with the C-section. It was a long and stressful weekend for everyone, including my mother who couldn't figure out when to come down to be with us, as she wanted to be there for Liam's birth. Finally Monday came and I went into work for awhile to take care of some paperwork and loose ends and then went in for my appointment to see what was going to happen. In a huge turn of events it turned out that over the weekend I had gone from 1-3cm dilated. Now everything changed to having a natural delivery. So we had to shift our thinking. Due to overcrowding in labor & delivery, I couldn't get an appointment to be induced until Thursday December 23rd. My doctor stripped my membrane and said she knew she would see me before then.
Monday the 20th was the start of my contractions. Once they started getting more and more, but still not close enough together, my mother decided to drive over to be here on Tuesday and hopefully make it in time for Liam. After contractions getting closer, I really didn't feel like it was time for me to go into the hospital yet, but I wasn't really given a clear directive and with everything being so touchy, I didn't want anything to be wrong with Liam, so I just called to find out when I should go in and they wanted me to come in immediately. Once again I was back in Labor & Delivery being monitored, but I was only at 4 cm dilated and after awhile was sent home.
My mom came in and we pretty much just got to play the waiting game as my contractions started getting worse and closer together. To help kill time we went shopping and walking around Wal-Mart to try to speed things up, and take my mind off of things. That night my contractions were still bad, but not consistently close enough to go in. Around 3 am I woke up with a horrible fever and around 4:45am I knew it was getting closer. When we called the hospital, we were told that due to the lack or room that I could come in but would most likely be sent home again and that they suggested that I wait until my doctor got in.
Wednesday morning came around with much pain and a continuous high fever. Finally went into the hospital around 11, and after being checked out by the nurse was told that it was finally going to happen. After that, everything went pretty quickly, after 5 hours Liam made it appearance right at 4 pm on the 22nd of December. He weighed 5 pounds 11.7 ounces and measured in at 17 1/2 inches. My mom and Shayna were both able to be with me the entire time.