Sunday, February 9, 2014

Valentine's Orange Sugar Scrub

Liam and I decided to go with this awesome DIY (Do-It-Yourself) idea for Valentine's this year!  It is SO easy that Liam could help with the entire making of the scrub with me and only needed minimal hands off with preparing the jars!  The scrub is made out of a lot of normal every-day household items!  The jars we got at a craft store along with the glue gun and Valentine's ribbon.  The scrub is actually made out of all safe ingredients and is technically edible as Liam was exited to continually inform me throughout the process haha.  I must admit that my crafty side has been locked away for many years and this was the first time I haev used a glue gun in quite some time....  I definitely need more practice at it, and could have used more time for better perfection, but I think that they still turned out well for the first time in a long time.  With that said, if I can do this than ANYONE can!

Scrub Ingredients:
Makes 1 Cup
Zest of 1-2 Oranges (1 if regular, 2 if mini)
1 cup of granulated sugar
2 tablespoons of organic virgin coconut oil
1 tablespoon of organic extra virgin olive oil

I made enough for 4 Cups so you would just mulitply the recipe:
Zest of 4 Oranges
4 cups of granulated sugar
8 tablespoons of organic virgin coconut oil
4 tablespoons of organic extra virgin olive oil

Directions:
In a medium mixing bowl, simple stir all ingredient together until well blended.  My coconut oil is normally solidified at room temperature and that’s just fine.  Do not heat it up to melt it, as the heat might melt the sugar.  Simple mix all ingredient with a spoon and it’ll come together nicely.

*For my jars, I just bought 4 small (15 oz) candle jars, and a spool of Heart ribbon.  I used a glue gun to attach the ribbon to the top of the candle jar to make it have more of a Valentine's feel.  I will most likely add a nice small bow to the top of the scrub for the people I give them out to!  Feel free to customize it however you want!  You can do this for ANY holiday!

Get the ingredients out!
Zest your oranges!
Zesting is hard work
Add the sugar
Keep going!
Add the coconut oil
Add the olive oil!
Get ready to stir!
Mix it up thoroughly!
Get out the jars, ribbon and glue gun!
Glue the ribbon to the top of the jars
Add the scrub to the jars!
There you have it!  Orange Scrub Valentine's gifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment