Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash

This afternoon I was looking for inspiration on how to utilize all of the produce (mostly veggies) that I have lying around in my fridge before it goes bad.  As I was looking through recipes, I remembered that I had an acorn squash in there.  Having never before purchased an acorn squash I wasn't quite sure what to do with it and if baking it would work in the same manner as it does with a butternut squash.  I came across a lot of delicious different things that you can bake in the squash and since I knew I had apples I had a golden opportunity!  The recipe was fairly easy and delicious, just took some time to bake completely.  Enjoy! 

Ingredients:
1 Acorn Squash
2 Apples (Cored, Peeled, & Sliced/Chopped)
2 Tbsp Butter
4 Tbsp Honey (you can also use some brown sugar to make it taste a bit sweeter if you would like)
Cinnamon

 Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Cut the acorn squash in half and scoop out all of the seeds (once you no longer see anything stringy, just like with a pumpkin than you are done.)  Score the squash (make long cuts into it for flavor) and place into a loaf pan.  Get he apples ready and fill the middle of both sides of the squash.  Cover the pan with foil and cook for 30 minutes.  Remove from oven.  Combine the butter and honey and microwave to melt the butter.  Drizzle over the apples in the squash.  Sprinkle the cinnamon on top and cook for about 20 min or until the squash is soft with the poke of a fork.  Allow 5 minutes to cool and you can serve as a meal itself or you can scoop the apples and part of squash onto a plate as a side dish.   

Acorn Squash
Cut it in half

Scoop out the middle
Score the squash and place int he loaf pan
Add the apples into the middle of the squash
Cover and bake for 30 minutes

Remove from the oven and chop the apples some more if you would like
Mix the melted butter and honey together
Drizzle over the apples in the squash
Sprinkle with cinnamon and return to the oven
Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy the deliciousness!

No comments:

Post a Comment